Enhancing the Utility of Self-Report Measures of PA
Our lab has been actively working to quantify and address error in a variety of PA assessment tools but specific efforts have been made to improve the accuracy and utility of report-based measures.
An area of emphasis is on the calibration of self-report measures physical activity. Emphasis in the field has been on refining the accuracy and utility of monitor-based methods for estimating energy expenditure (EE) and time spent in moderate to vigorous physical activity (MVPA) or sedentary behavior (SB). The objectivity of monitor-based measures is a considerable advantage, but report-based tools are more practical and provide valuable information about the context of physical activity behavior. Read a commentary on the need for calibration of self-report measures in the ACSM Bulletin (Active Voice: Why Self-Report Measures Need Calibration).
Research on Report Measures
- Shook, R. P., Gribben, N. C., Hand, G. A., Paluch, A. E., Welk, G. J., Jakicic, J. M. & Blair, S. N. (2016). Subjective Estimation of Physical Activity Using the IPAQ Varies by Fitness Level. Journal of Physical Activity & Health. 13(1), 79-86.
- Troiano RP, Pettee Gabriel KK, Welk GJ, Owen N, Sternfeld B. (2012). Reported physical activity and sedentary behavior: why do you ask? Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 9 (Suppl 1):S68-75.
- Tucker, J. M., Welk, G., Nusser, S. M., Beyler, N. K., & Dzewaltowski, D. (2011). Estimating minutes of physical activity from the previous day physical activity recall: validation of a prediction equation. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 8, 71-78
- Martínez-Gómez D, Wärnberg J, Welk GJ, Sjöström M, Veiga OL, Marcos A. (2010).Validity of the Bouchard activity diary in Spanish adolescents. Public Health Nutrition. 2010 Feb;13(2):261-8. PMID: 19758479
- Calabro MA, Welk GJ, Beyler N, Carriquiry AL, Nusser SM, Matthews CE. (2009). Validation of a computerized 24 hour physical activity recall (24hPAR) instrument with pattern recognition activity monitors. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 6(2):211-20. PMID: 19420399
- Welk, G.J. (2008). The role of physical activity assessments for school-based physical activity promotion. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science. 12: 184-206.
- Welk, G.J., Wickel, E., Petersen, M., Heitzler, C.D., Fulton, J.E., Poitter, L. (2007). Validity and Reliability of the Youth Media Campaign Longitudinal Survey. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 39(4), 612-621. PMID: 17414798